Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Nanny 101 Part. 1> to: parents love, your nanny

   As you all know, I am a full time nanny. Let me just say, I absolutely adore my job.

   It's not unusual, though, to hear a pity "oh" after I tell someone what I do for a living. Why? I honestly don't know. For a while I assumed that it was because it's such a "personal" job. Maybe those people thought it was too hard not to get too attached to the children you care for. All of that is true. In fact, I would say, that will be the hardest part for me. I have been Madeleine's nanny for a little over two years now {and she is 28 months old} I met Madeleine when she was two months old. I don't think she even knows me as her nanny. To her, I'm her "Kiki" {that's her name for me} She doesn't really know life without me. I love that little girl to pieces! 

   When my time as Mad's nanny is up, my heart will {no doubt} break. Her parents have become my dear friends and Madeleine has become my best bud. I have most definitely become "too attached."  

   Many of my friends and family have recently joined the "nanny industry." After exchanging  stories with some of them, I now see what the pity "oh's" were all about. I have heard some outrageous stories!  <parents not paying enough, nanny lying to the parents, parents always getting home late, nanny on the phone/computer all day, parents treating the nanny as "the help", parents taking obvious advantage of the nanny, nanny complaining about parents on Facebook, distrust between the parties> I could go on. I couldn't believe any of it!

  Now I am no expert, but I have been asked for "nanny tips" from several friends. So I thought I would share them with you. Part 1 will be to the parents from the nanny.  I have never been a parent in search of a nanny, but I have been a nanny to two GREAT parents. Here is what has worked for us:

1- open communication. Not only will this help your nanny's job tremendously, but this key will only be beneficial to you. If you have a certain schedule in mind, tell the nanny. If you have a problem with something your nanny did, tell them immediately. If you are pleased with how things are going, tell your nanny how happy you are. Talk openly about all topics: money, discipline, schedule, chores, everything. 

2- the kids. I love watching my employers with their kids. Not only is it just wonderful to see, but it helps me during the day when it's just Madeleine and me. When we have a particularly long day, I remember seeing Aimee and Matt enjoying and loving their little girl. It truly keeps me motivated to do an "above the expected" job. Also, make sure the kids know that you and nanny are on the same team. I personally have never run into this problem with my job, but some of my friends say that the kids they watch have no respect for them. This is the parents responsibility. Your kids should know that when the nanny is here, she/he is in charge. The kids should know that you "have your nanny's back"      

3- Trust is key. This {to me} seems that it should be obvious. I was shocked to find out how many of my nanny friends feel that their employers don't trust them. You should be able to go to work and not have one concern in the world about what is going on at home. If you do not feel this way, you and your nanny need to have a serious talk about why. You should feel that your child is being given the care you would give if you could be home. In almost every note or thank you card my employers have written to me, they sign, "thank you for loving our girl almost as much as we do." I love that. You may say, "I trust my nanny completely" but then you don't let him/her drive your children from place to place. To me, that is not complete trust.   

4- money, money, money. This is a touchy issue. {especially coming from a nanny} but I am just the voice for what all the nannies out there are thinking. This is of course an issue that would be talked about prior to hiring your nanny. And don't worry, I'm not going to give a set rate to go by. I believe the average rate in Michigan is $9.00/hour, but in California the average rate is $40.00/hour. quite a difference! Basically what i will say about this is, don't cheap out on child care. You already know your child deserves the very best. That is why you are going with a nanny instead of day care. Many of my friends have told me that their employer compare the two. To me that is like comparing  apples to oranges... you just can't. So please don't plan on paying your nanny what you would pay for day care. You must AT LEAST pay minimum wage. My employers gave me a raise about a year ago. When I thanked them they said, "Madeleine deserves the best and we want you to know that we think you are the best." Let me tell you, friend, you get what you pay for.     

5- treat them like family. When my employers hired me, they said, "Welcome to our family, Kendra." It only took a couple of weeks with them to truly feel like I was part of their family. Welcome your nanny with open arms. Make him/her feel loved, appreciated, wanted, and needed. If your nanny does not feel this from you, don't expect much from him/her. Just like in your career, you wouldn't work as hard if you didn't feel appreciated. You may even quit. It's the same with your nanny. 



If you have any nanny questions for me {or my employers, I am happy to answer them :)  

You can comment below or email me at: kendralavoy@gmail.com






No comments:

Post a Comment